Let’s be real.
Anxiety is experienced by everyone at different times. No need to put others down if they’re in distress. Be there for one another. Make your communities strong. You are not alone. We have each other.
BUT…wait…What’s anxiety though?
WEB DEFINTION ”a feeling of worry, nervousness, or unease, typically about an imminent event or something with an uncertain outcome”
So you’re saying anxiety happens when we feel as though a dangerous outcome may occur.
Hmm…let’s break it down.
Basically anxiety is made up of:
THOUGHTS (Think) x BODY SENSATIONS (Feel) x ACTIONS (Do)
- THOUGHTS of anything that can possibly go wrong (negative thoughts, doubts,etc)
- BODY SENSATIONS of feeling weak, dizzy, the sweats, numb, pain in the chest, your hearts activity, etc
- ACTIONS we project from being anxious, such as hyperventilating, biting of nails, avoiding situations/people, ritualistic behaviours (WHAT in the world? Basically things we do a lot without being aware i.e. safe routes, safe clothes, comfort foods, checking the time)
So now we know the basics of what anxiety is…
HOW CAN WE COPE WITH ANXIETY?
When we essentially start to think that something bad is going to happen, we tend to over-think about it. STOP OVER-THINKING! This brings in a toxic mind with toxic thoughts. Do you really want this kind of energy?
Counter these thoughts with questions like:
- What’s the worst thing that can happen? (But…did you die? Not to sound rude, but that kind of is the worst possible thing to happen)
- I’m thinking all these negative thoughts, and I remember being in this situation before. So what did I do about it? What can I do about it? Always find solutions. Always overcome your obstacles. Be brave. Be strong!
2. BE AWARE. ALWAYS PUSH FORWARD, NOT BACKWARDS.
Learn to face what you’re fearing. BE AWARE. How did you start to become anxious? Who, What Where, When, Why, and How? Always challenge yourself. Step out of your comfort zone. NOTHING GROWS IN YOUR COMFORT ZONE EXCEPT MISERY.
Remember, it takes time to overcome obstacles. Be patient with yourself.
Easy steps for self development and growth:
- What is the problem?
- Find (I suggest type/write/audio record) solutions to that problem.
- Set goals on how to overcome this problem with your solution.
- Work on those goals. Never stop putting in that work. Nothing comes easy.
- If there was no success the first time, then change your solutions, or change your goals, and try again. You are here for a reason, and it’s to overcome and become a stronger you.
3. TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF. KEEP BUSY.
- Find a hobby you like. Learn something new. You have one life, go ahead and live it. Find things that interest you and pursue them.
- Take your mind off of what is bothering you. Put some music on. Go for a walk, or go to the gym. There are also group work-out sessions at gyms.
- Get enough sleep every night. With a lack of sleep, people tend to feel more anxious.
This is a great site in how to overcome anxiety without taking medication. Check it out!
In need of someone to talk to? You are not alone. There are people who care.
- Ontario has the Mental Health Helpline – 1-866-531-2600
- Kids Help Phone: 1-800-668-6868
- York Support Services Network: 1-855-310-COPE (2673)
International? I found an amazing site with several countries from around the world, and their helplines! Check it out! http://togetherweare-strong.tumblr.com/helpline